Saturday, August 21, 2010

Where do you draw the line with your partner keeping posessions from his/her previous marriage?

I can understand keeping a t.v, or something of that nature, but what about the other things from their previous marriage; wedding gifts, or presents from their ex? pictures, glasses, clothing, jewelry....just wondering if you draw the line anywhere?Where do you draw the line with your partner keeping posessions from his/her previous marriage?
If there are kids, it can mean a lot to them to keep some of these things. My mom trashed most everything from her marriage to my dad, but somehow 3 pictures of their wedding were missed. They mean a lot to me because they show me there was a time when my parents did love each other.





But.... keep them in a box.





The other stuff, who cares so long as it's usable.Where do you draw the line with your partner keeping posessions from his/her previous marriage?
As long as he's not setting his home up as a shrine to his ex, and putting pictures of her everywhere, I think it's perfectly normal. I wear some jewelry my ex bought for me--just not my wedding ring. (LOL) I figure if my new guy wants me to wear jewelry from him, he will buy me some. (And he has!)


I still have my wedding pictures from my first marriage--it happened, after all. I don't look at them, but my kids will probably want them someday.


Would you want him to get rid of things that are useful and give him pleasure to have, just because they are associated with his past relationship? I think you may be putting too much emphasis on the past. Forget where the stuff came from, and just enjoy being together. He isn't making you get rid of everything you owned before you met him, is he? Try not to be insecure--it will damage your new relationship.
you shouldn't let misc. things such as gifts or clothing that was given to them by the ex. bother you, but if it is personal property such as he keeps her clothes or jewelry then definitely that has to go. but if its stuff that maybe she has boughten for him it should be ok to keep. I don't think most people dwell on things to that extent to where little things will remind them of their ex. Maybe slowly but surely you can start replacing those sentimental items they shared with your own.
Everything's fine. His previous marriage was a huge and important part of his life. There's no reason for him to try and throw it out or forget. Sometime in the past there was a woman who shaped the man that some other woman loves now. As long as he's not clinging to them and spending hours reminiscenting her then all's fine with the world. :)
I was married for 23+ years. My ex gave me a few pics, and aI also have other items that I've had for those 23 years.





My new wife respects the fact that I had a previous life. And she did also. Neither one of us dwell on where or how we obtained certian things (including off-spring). We both realize that life changes, people change, you have history and that's it.





Mostly, we focus on the future. We focus on building our new life, with pieces of the old mixed into it.
Pictures would not be ok to me..the clothing and jewelry would just randomly disappear :) The pics would blatantly disappear into the shredder. You don't need to look at that garbage. I would allow pictures of the ex wife if he had kids with her..then the kids could have pics of their mommy. But there is no need for pictures of them all snuggled up together to even still exist.
Pictures of kids should always be kept and displayed. Family pictures with ex should be kept in a drawer. Pictures of the 2 of them kept WAAAAAAAAAAAY on the bottom of the pile. A pic is harmless. Jewelry same deal things can be kept but put away preferably basement out of the way. Dont make him get rid of them thats not really right.
What's the big deal. They still usable right? Enjoy those things and get over it. I have furniture, dishes, etc. from my past marriage and I don't plan to throw all that out just because I marry again. They hold no sentimental value. It's just a couch!
Pics and sex toys from the ex. Everything else you can either keep or pawn off.
I'm all for a new mattress.


Everything else stays.


Yes, even the nude photos or diamond studded watches.
You're not married anymore, so whay are these things important anymore. Give them up.
Her sex partner!
Sex toys need to go.





Clothing? Come on. Get real.
?
keeping stuff is fine. Pictures etc, not so fine!
if that sounds wrong to you then it's wrong.
Is this still about the bed?
nothing wrong with that
get over it..you have THE MAN !





let him keep his STUFF...its not important..unlesss its the BED

No comments:

Post a Comment