Tuesday, August 24, 2010

What is said and done in a catholic marriage?

In the roman Catholic church what do they do and say during a marriageWhat is said and done in a catholic marriage?
鈥?Marriage Vows 鈥?br>




I (...), take you (...) to be my husband/wife.


I promise to be true to you


in good times and in bad,


in sickness and in health.


I will love you and honor you


all the days of my life.





Or





I (...), take you (...) for my lawful husband/wife,


to have and to hold,


from this day forward,


for better, for worse,


for richer, for poorer,


in sickness and in health,


until death do us part.





Or





In the name of God,


I (...) take you (...) to be my husband/wife,


to have and to hold


from this day forward,


for better, for worse,


for richer, for poorer,


in sickness and in health,


to love and to cherish,


until we are parted by death.


This is my solemn vow.





The bride and groom exchange the same vows and there is nothing about 'obeying.'





鈥?Exchange of Rings 鈥?





(...), take this ring


as a sign of my love and fidelity.


In the name of the Father,


and of the Son,


and of the Holy Spirit.





With love in Christ.What is said and done in a catholic marriage?
I think the question you mean to ask is ';what is said and done at a Catholic wedding?'; the marriage is what happens for the rest of their lives after the wedding. (sorry...i don't mean to be nit picky)





anyway...a Catholic wedding is an awesome event. It is the only Sacrament in the Catholic church which is never administered by a priest or deacon. The couple actually administers this sacrament to each other. The priest is merely a witness. The Church stands back in awe as the couple, in


three declarative sentences ( -1- i, jane doe, take you john smith, to be my husband. -2- i promise to be true to you in good times and in bad, in sickness and in health. -3- i will love you and honor you all the days of my life.) pledge to each other that they will be faithful to each other forever, no matter what. You are giving your life away to your spouse...and the Church stands back in Awe as a witness to this solemn commitment.
I believe that the couple ';marry'; themselves during a nuptial mass. The priest only officiates. I could be wrong about this and you may want to check it out further.

No comments:

Post a Comment